child at play   standing_baby_in_diaper   toddler walking with adult help

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I know if my child has a developmental delay?
Your pediatrician will be discussing developmental milestones with you at your child’s check-ups. Sometimes a concern is raised by a day care provider, relative or friend. There are simple screening tools we can use to give you a “snapshot” of your child’s development.

Who is eligible?
If your child is experiencing a delay of 25% in one or more of these areas; cognitive, speech, physical development, social/emotional or adaptive development, they are eligible for services.

Will it take long to get started?
No. Once your child has been referred/identified, the county has 45 days to do a thorough assessment, write an individualized service plan and begin service.

How and when do services occur?
The service is provided in your child’s natural environment. This can be in your home, the day care or even grandma’s house. The teachers and therapist focus on training parents and caretakers to continue working with the child when the teachers and therapists are not present.

Who will be working with my child?
Depending on your child’s needs, you may be working with a teacher, speech pathologist, physical therapist, and/or occupational therapist. A team will develop an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) that will be overseen by a Service Coordinator from the Lawrence County Base Service Unit.


For more information on the EI program at LCARC and how we can help, please call 724.658.8515 or email us at